The light inside

Monday, January 12, 2009

There is a season...

Ecclesiastes says:

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven;...

a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,"

Is it ironic that God promises us in His word that all of these things will come, and yet if you are like me sometimes you are surprised by them.

I have noticed that God (when I listen) tends to prepare me ahead of time for things I may have difficulty with.

This Sunday our preacher started a sermon series surrounding the hymns we sing. He started by describing the story behind "It is Well With my soul" by Horatio Spafford. Tragic events in his life inspired these well known words. (For the full story click here.)

"Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, it is well, it is well, with my soul."

Our preacher talked about the sorrow of Israel, and God's response to that sorrow, found in Isaiah:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

A few days ago this was the following verse in my devotional.

Ps. 91:2 "I will say of the LORD 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust'"

So praise be to God my refuge and fortress in good times, and in sorrow. My God who even when I do not understand things I can trust that his ways are higher than mine, and His promise is for my good. I love you Lord. I trust you.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home