The light inside

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Catching my breath...

Wow, it has been a crazy six weeks! I feel like I am just now catching my breath. We had a wonderful trip to Colorado for Justin's birthday. We got to spend some wonderful time with his parents, go skiing, and we were even blessed enough to see some friends from college. It was so wonderful to get to catch up and share in each other's lives, and to watch our kiddos play together.
After our trip to Colorado we flew home. Justin went back to work, while I did some laundry, and repacked the suitcases for our trip to Texas. The kids and I were home for about 36 hours before we got back on the plane!
My wonderful mother had her ankle replaced, and we were lucky enough to have the time to go see her and spend some time helping her rest. It was a fun and busy few weeks, and we all loved seeing and playing with grandparents, and cousins. My Mom is a trooper and doing great. I'm sure she will be running with the kids by this summer.
It has also been nice to be back home, and in our routine. Nothing makes you appreciate "normal life" more than being out of pocket for a while.
As for the kids, I have been really aware of how big they are getting. They've really grown up and made big strides. I am that lucky (see previous post) and my two and 1/4 year old son is potty trained!! He is so big that he is done with all rewards, and has even spent the last two nights in underwear with NO accidents! Way to go Caleb!!
Elizabeth has been learning to tie her shoes (thanks Grammi & Papaw for the new shoes), and has almost mastered the art. I am so proud of her. She still gets really frustrated (she is a typical first born perfectionist), but is really learning perseverance and getting better everyday!
She brought tears to my eyes last week though, proving just how big she's getting. Here's the story: We were in the library picking out books, and I asked her if she wanted to get a book that she could try to read herself (I was thinking a book with a repeating pattern and a few words a page). She said she wasn't interested and picked up a book about Lady and the Tramp. I then took the kids to the dvd section to get a little entertainment for Justin and I for the weekend. Elizabeth sat down in a chair and as I looked at movies, and from across the room I heard her sound out and read three words all by herself! She read "It was a" before she needed help. I can't believe how big she is growing and (if my pride may display itself a bit) how smart she is!
I have GREAT kids!! Thank you God for all of your blessing and the kids I have.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • That is so not fair that Caleb is completely trained! Mason just likes to tease me :)

    By Blogger Anne-Marie, at 12:02 AM  

  • It was SO great to see you and your beautiful kiddos in February. They are so adorable and it did my heart good to get to talk to you and hug your neck. Love you!

    By Blogger Robby and Lynsey, at 3:17 PM  

  • Wow, Allison. Throw in that "wobblah" of a tooth and you've got yourself a bona fide big kid on your hands.

    By Blogger McAffee, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home