The light inside

Sunday, January 02, 2011

2011?!?!?

Does it sound weird to anyone else? 2011? I don't know why, but for some reason it sounds really weird to me. 2010 didn't, but 2011 does. I can't explain it.
I'll go back and fill in the large blog gap with a few stories soon, but I wanted to take this time and think about the new year.

2011.
Justin and I stole a toast from a friend and officially toasted to this at New Years: "To a year that is more like the train ride around Kennywood (the local amusement park), and less like one of the roller coasters!"
Because I'll be honest 2010 was a roller coaster!
That night I listed off some of the good things that happened in 2010. Here are a few that made the list:
1- We really adjusted to and handled being parents to three kids.
2- Caleb and Elizabeth both embraced and adore Evan. We have had no real adjustment or jealousy issues.
3- Each of our kids has really grown, and their personalities continued to blossom this year.
Elizabeth is super helpful (on the verge of too helpful occasionally), a great reader, loves school, dancing and her friends.
Caleb really enjoys being the big kid around the house, he dotes and loves on his baby brother, he is really getting good with numbers, and his letters are improving daily. He does great at school. His obsessions with airplanes, guns, and sharks continue.
Evan started out being so content just as long as he was watching the chaos. Now he wants in the middle of it! He is curious, and into EVERYTHING!! He is positive he is just as big as his brother and sister, and is constantly following them around to be involved in what they are doing. He is happy and tough little booger, who is only really upset when he doesn't get to play with everyone else, or gets told no! He has an adorable mischievous grin, and loves his daddy.
4- We had an amazing summer vacation. We were together for a week, toured some of the famous and historical sites of Pennsylvania, and had an absolute blast. Our kids got along and traveled well. Justin had a great and much needed break from work. Overall it was an amazing adventure, and I loved it!
5- We have successfully added a puppy to our family. Didn't know that? Oh yeah, in the 2 1/2 months I haven't written we've had 4 birthdays, 3 holidays and we got a puppy. But at least we fulfilled a dream of our daughters that has been delayed for 5 years.
6-While still not official (the contracts should arrive in the mail this week), Justin has a job lined up for the end of residency!! And more importantly than that it's not just a job. I really believe that we are being called to this place. (How do I know? I didn't want to go there, but it is THE place that has opened a door for us, and I feel good about it even though part of me still doesn't want to go there. Besides, I'm noticing this pattern in my life.... Des Moines, Pittsburgh, now McMinnville. I might be slow but I get it now.) What does life hold for us there? Who knows? It's one of the less "train ride" feeling parts of 2011. But it is also what makes 2011 so interesting.
7- We have seen the power of prayer and fasting work in our lives. Some friends of ours had an extremely difficult 2010, and it looked like it could be the last year of their family. We prayed and fasted and spoke words of difficult honesty, and rebuke. We cried, we fought, we prayed, we waited, and GOD worked. God still has a lot to do, but I saw these friends take comfort in each other's arms as the new year was about to begin. He is real and alive and at work. I know. I saw it in 2010.
I wonder what he has in store, and what ways he will work in 2011.

3 Comments:

  • Allison, I am constantly amazed by your faith! I can't believe it is 2011 either! Your year sounds crazy and perfect all a the same time, I can't wait to hear more about what 2011 holds in store for you!

    By Blogger Debbi, at 10:50 AM  

  • Such a blessing to hear about your blessings!! Thank you for your ever-present faithfulness. There are so many days when I long to live in the same city as you and raise our children together. I have a feeling you have much wisdom to share. :)

    And you are experiencing so many different parts of the country! While I am sure that would be incredibly difficult - what a neat thing! So is Justin "done" now??

    By Blogger Robby and Lynsey, at 11:42 AM  

  • Here's to a "train ride" in 2011! Good luck with that... Does a "train ride" really exist? Still waiting for that. Maybe in 2011... :)

    Love you!!

    By Blogger The Nielsen Family, at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home