The light inside

Friday, December 01, 2006

Missed ministry

I think I totally missed a ministry opportunity. I just totally blew it.
I was waiting for an appointment, and as I sat there the lady next to me started talking, and just opened up. It turns out she is out of work, and can't seem to find a job. She has a 2 year old kid, and the only job she can find is a night job, which won't work. Her husband doesn't want her to stay home with their kid. And she is in a really tight spot financially. I listened and made small talk with her, but didn't get really involved.
It didn't even occur to me until it was all over and I had left after my appointment that there was SO much more I could have done! I could have listened to her much more intently, been so much more compassionate and empathetic. I could have prayed with her about finding a job, or at least asked her name, and told her I would have been praying for her.
Why didn't I? Why didn't it occur to me until later?? Why was I so self-conscious and awkward that I couldn't get beyond my own feelings and really focus on this woman so desperately in need??
Did I just completely ignore the spirit moving in me?? If so, can it ever be effective in my life? Maybe I am reading too much into this, but I don't think so.
I don't know her name, but please say a prayer for Appointment Lady. And pray that God will somehow be able to reach her for His glory.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home