The light inside

Friday, June 29, 2007

My thoughts...

Thanks to everyone who commented with their thoughts. I think I will be borrowing some of your thoughts this weekend. I usually flip flop between two scenarios. So here is what I typically think about...


The bread: Since the bread is Christ's body I picture my own body laying on an altar. I typically then pray and give my body and my life over into God's hands. I pray that he would be able to use my body and my life just the way he would if I were Jesus. I pray that I would touch people like Jesus and see people like Jesus. I pray that my whole body and life would be given over to Him for His will, and His glory.

The cup: When I take the cup and the drink the juice that represents his blood I typically use it as a time to think about my sinfulness. I take this time to examine my heart. I picture it as the hard black stone that is lifeless within me. I confess to the Lord the ways I know I have failed him, and the things that I have done to separate myself from His presence. I pray that His blood, which is the only thing that can cleanse me, will pour over my heart and make it new. Then I picture His blood hitting my rock heart and the pieces of rock and darkness shattering off of it like an explosion. I picture the Christ's blood once again starting my heart and pumping throughout my body so that I can be used for His goodness. I allow myself to be washed clean in the pouring flood of His blood, and soak in the peace that comes with knowing that I am clean and pure before the Lord. And that once again I feel the freedom and peace that comes with knowing I stand purified before my God.
I have to say that this is an especially powerful image for me when I am pregnant and nursing, because I pray and imagine that a taste of the blood and body of Christ will flow through me to my children and that they will begin, even in the womb, to have a hunger and thirst for the salvation of Christ in their lives.

This is the other scenario I think of is:
I imagine myself walking into this amazing banquet room. There is a table that stretches as far as the eye can see. It is elegantly set and filled with tons of food. I see the food and realize that I am starving. I approach the table and notice that every place is set and has a name. In the midst of all of this I look down at myself and I realize that I am filthy. I am dirty from head to toe and I am dressed in rags. I realize that I am an orphan and I don't belong here. I am not worthy of being here and I suddenly feel tiny. But then I look back at the table and the place card on the plate has my name on it. I realize that I belong here and a place has been saved for me. I feel amazing. Words can't express the relief, joy and peace that comes over me as I take my place at the table. I sit and as I look down the table I see people from all over the world joining me in this feast. And then I eat and feel truly full for the first time. And when I drink I look down, and I am no longer dirty, but clean and in a new sparkling white outfit. I relax and realize what an amazing experience I am having.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Beautiful, Allison.
    Thank you for sharing.

    By Blogger Clay, at 10:40 PM  

  • Thanks, Allie for writing this blog. Since I can't get your link to post on my blog (tried about 10 times now), I sometimes forget to check it. But when I remember, I'm always glad I have. This post really deepened how I am going to experience communion. Thanks for being refreshing! I love you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!!!

    By Blogger laura jo, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home