The light inside

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Two Great Pediatricians, and two things I needed to hear

Evan had his well child check today. I know I haven't mentioned it, but I absolutely love his pediatrician. He is wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of the clinic (they can be disorganized and difficult to work with) but I'll continue to deal with it to see Dr. Anderson.

Dr. Anderson is a good and competent doctor. But what I love the most about him is how involved he is in his patients lives. We started seeing him just after we moved here and he learned right away that Justin was in residency. We haven't had to see him often except for check ups, but he has never forgotten the situation we are in and often asks how we are doing. Today we talked about the fact that residency is almost over, he asked where we were going, what I thought about the move, and if we would be near family (He remembers we have no family near us now). I talked for a while and he listened. We talked about how busy Justin would be in his new practice, and I told him that my expectations are that it will be just like residency (that way I figure I am mentally prepared if he is that busy, and if it ends up that he works less then it is just a blessing). Then I mentioned something about it getting better, and kind of laughed. He was really honest with me and said it would get better, and it wouldn't. There will be an ebb and flow. It was nice to hear someone be honest with me about life after residency. Everyone wants to sugar coat it and say don't worry you've made it through the tough part. But the reality is that it will continue to be tough after we leave here.
The best part about my interaction with Dr. Anderson though is not his honesty. EVERY visit he prays over and for my children. It is humbling and amazing. I absolutely love it, and am brought to tears almost every time. As we chatted today he had stopped and asked me if I was okay. He said you look.... I passed it off as being tired (truth be told it is a part of the equation) from Justin being gone last week and having to hold the fort down all by myself. He didn't really need to have a counseling session with me then... :) So during his prayer time he prayed that God would prepare a church and friends for us in Tennessee when we moved. I can't tell you how touched I am those words came to his heart. That Lord is what I need there, and what I am most sorrowful about leaving behind...

My second interaction came this afternoon...
I was listening to the Dave Ramsey Show (my financial guru) :) and he had Dr. Meg Meeker on talking about her new book for mothers. After the show ended they had a special online chat with Dr. Meeker where you could post questions and she would answer them. I asked a question, and she answered it. Here is the interaction:

Allison:
My husband is about to finish his residency and start in a practice. We will be moving several states away, and do not have any connections in our new location. Do you have any advice on preparing my kids (ages 7,4 &1), and myself for the move and the changes that it will bring?

Dr. Meg Meeker:
The most important thing when you make the move is to find a community with a good school system and a good church. You should be able to feel as connected in that community as you feel in the community you're in. What is it in your current life that's really important to you? Try to reproduce that in the new community. It's also important to give yourselves some grace and realize you may have some bumpy months ahead, and that's perfectly okay. You'll get through them.

I don't know if that response meant anything to you, but in reading it I feel SO blessed. I don't have to be the perfect mother through this difficult and bumpy transition. And we will all struggle some. And best of all, it's ok. We will make it through!
I knew all of that in my head, but having someone else say it out loud gives me some breathing room...
Okay... Here we go...

4 Comments:

  • Oh, Allie. This post warms my heart. I am so glad that you have such a wonderful community (that took awhile to build) to get you prepared for your new journey ahead. ...plus, Dave Ramsey will be on the radio in TN, too! :) I love you, friend!

    By Blogger laura jo, at 1:10 PM  

  • I'm so tired. All the time I'm tired and then I log on and read your blog and decide that I have NO IDEA what tired looks like. You are a woman among women. You are an amazing and incredible woman who fills my heart with hope and faith and humility. It sounds like God placed some pretty wonderful people in your journey there, so I am confident he is already preparing people in TN to greet you with the same kind of love and compassion and caring. I pray it doesn't take nearly as long to find these new folks, though! Love you friend. Hang in there. Many blessings of peace over you and yours in the coming months.

    By Blogger Robby and Lynsey, at 4:09 PM  

  • Allie! I think about you often and I'm praying for you and your family as you go through this transition. I'm so happy that God has blessed you with great people all around you now, and I trust he will do the same for you in TN. Much love! (and I hope to see you sometime soon) Pape

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 10:58 PM  

  • Agreed!! Life definitely ebbs and flows post residency as we have already talked about. After the first really rough months, I would say there is more good than bad. And it is definitely church and friends that get you through (and for me it was mostly friends for my children that meant the most). Good luck, but really you have your feet grounded, you know where to find true happiness and you no matter where you go God is there and He will help you through!! (Though sometimes He gives us some rough learning experiences.)

    By Blogger The Nielsen Family, at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home