The light inside

Monday, December 04, 2006

My different delivery

Warning! This post may be more graphic than you desire to read. Especially if you are one of my single guy friends from college. It involves baby delivery details... I will not take it too far, but just be forewarned.
I wrote on this blog the day Caleb was born that his delivery was much different than Elizabeth's and I would give more details later. Well the time has come.
Here is the background. Elizabeth was born 7 days late. I went into labor on my own. Vomited for hours, then went to the hospital convinced they would send me home only to find I was dilated to a 7. Then I was at the hospital for an hour. Got my epidural at an 8, and delivered Elizabeth about 3 1/2 hours later at 8:40 am.
Caleb was due on November 3rd. My doctors this time told me they wouldn't make me go a whole week late. My due date was a Friday, and they don't induce on Fridays, so my doctor called and got me on the list to be induced the Wednesday before I was due. We leisurely strolled into the hospital at 7:30am. By 8:30 am I was hooked up to an IV and receiving oxytocin. Not much happened for about 3 hours. I had some contractions but nothing too bad. They were not as bad as I remembered from last time.
At 11:30 my doctor came in to break my water. This was not a pleasant experience. I had my epidural before they did it with E, so I did not feel it. The doctor checked me and I was at a 4 (I came in at a 3), he told me not to wait too long for my epidural, and joked with me that I didn't look very uncomfortable. My nurse called for the anesthesiologist, and I was in line for my epidural. We called my mom and told her that she should probably start back toward the hospital. (She was at home with my Dad and Elizabeth) Within about 10-15 minutes my contractions were strong and often. I told my nurse that these were more like I remembered, and Justin took his place at my side so I could hold his hand. The contractions continued like that for another 10-15 minutes, and my nurse commented that they would probably need to turn down my medicine if my contractions stayed on top of each other like they were. I then told my nurse that I would not be sad when the anesthesiologist came because I was hurting. I also casually mentioned that I knew things were changing because I really felt like I needed to go to the bathroom.
I said that, and it was as if a little light bulb came on over her head... She immediately stopped what she was doing and said, "hmmm... Well let me just check you." She walked over and checked me and said, " Oh yeah your at an 8..." WHAT???!!!!!????
I'll be honest and say that I can't remember all of the details at this point. Basically it went like this: I was informed that I would not be getting an epidural. I could not believe my ears. Justin asked me what he could do, and I told him I needed an epidural. I made him ask again, and we were told that I was just progressing too fast and there would be no time for the epidural. I was crying, and asked if they could give me anything for the pain. I was told that there was nothing they could give me now, because it would effect Caleb.
Within 10 minutes I was having to pant, so that I wouldn't push (which is EXTREMELY difficult) while we waited for the doctor to get to my room. Justin said that he has never seen a physician scrub in so fast. I pushed for about 10 minutes, and he was here! It was just under an hour between breaking my water and Caleb being born. That is totally crazy!
Before he came I had thought to myself that it would be nice if my water just broke so I would know I was in labor for sure. Thank you God that you know better than I do! We wouldn't have made it to the hospital on time!
I hope that wasn't too much detail for anyone. :)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Craziness! I know you didn't choose it ... but you are the woman for going without drugs!! :) I can't wait to see him. We'll be in LBB the 20th - 24th. WIll you be there?

    By Blogger Robby and Lynsey, at 4:35 PM  

  • you are my hero!

    By Blogger Sue, at 5:15 PM  

  • We will get to Lubbock on the 23rd. I know it will be crazy, but we've got to swing seeing each other. Even if it is in the middle for about 10 minutes!! Thanks for the compliments girls. I don't want to do it that way again, but I do have to admit I feel pretty tough :).

    By Blogger Allison, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home